Thursday, October 27, 2016

Journals

Will gets a *little* bit of attention around our house lately. Though all of us are smitten with our new bundle of love, he takes a lot of our time and energy, so this post is dedicated to the three fabulous girls who humbly keep moving forward although our lives have changed dramatically. 

We have asked a LOT of the girls lately. We have asked them to be more independent, responsible and open minded. They have taken on more chores, are expected to complete tasks with less guidance, and have been on the receiving end of our exhausted emotions. But as I am taken away from them a bit more to care for Will, I have been able to see them from a whole new perspective that I lacked when I was "helicoptering" them and their choices. They are fabulous little humans.

And though I feel there are few greater gifts that we can give them than responsibility, compassion, and independence, I also fear asking them to grow up too fast and take on more than perhaps they should. We have never shied away from the "hard topics" with the girls and share everything with them in hopes that the more we share with them, the more they feel like they can share with us. From our relationship [and what we feel a strong marriage should look like] to finances [and why they don't get whatever they want], we try to be very honest with them. This has helped tremendously as we have taken on the topic of life and the uncertainty of losing those we love. Since many of these profound discussions are difficult, interrupted, or disjointed, the girls and I turned to journaling. If you have daughters, I highly recommend this form of written communication as I have learned so much about the [older] girls that I'm not sure they would have told me if they were discussing it face to face. 
Grace's journal. Who doesn't love writing with fun, colored pens!?
There are rules to our journals...they can't be discussed with others, you must be completely honest, you can't be mad when someone writes something that you don't like...etc. Sometimes long, sometimes short, sometimes including pictures, doodles, or quotes it has allowed us to encourage each other through some hard things, ask questions we're nervous to ask, and laugh with each other through some embarrassing moments. With limited time now that Will is here, it has been awesome in solving the "just a minute" problem that I think I usually push on them when they need something. Sometimes we'll journal back and forth each day, sometimes it's a week before I get their journals back. When they finish with an entry, they set it on my pillow for me to read and respond, and when I finish, I set it back on their pillow. No rush, no deadline, no pressure...just fun.

I didn't think Norah would mind that they girls and I had special journals as we don't really discuss them. However, after a while of seeing these journals floating around she decided she wanted in on the action. She started her own journal and set it on my pillow. Most of her entries are pictures that she draws that I often have to follow up and ask what I'm looking at, but since we don't have any "rules" on sharing in her journal, here is a pic my favorite page that she wrote.  

Will is little
Will is cute
Will is fun
Will is awesome
Will is hilarious :)
[with a picture of her holding Will at the bottom]

*these girls melt my heart*

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this!!! You and Mark are amazing and your kids are too!