Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Respect life week

Week 3! I just can't help but think that Will has made it this far to prove a point. [He's kind of stubborn like his mama in that regard.] This week is Respect Life Week. After so much talk of termination when we first found out Will's diagnosis, it is crazy to think of all the love and joy that he has brought to our family and the huge absence there would have been had we chosen to not continue with his journey. Truthfully, it makes me a bit sick to my stomach. I have always considered myself pro-life, but it has always been under the knowledge that I have never been put in a situation where I had to put my actions in place of my words. Now that I have had to walk that walk I cannot imagine my life without Will being a part of it...regardless of for how long that might be. 

When he arrived, we knew that Will would take a bit of extra TLC and, frankly, I was scared I wouldn't be able to handle his needs. Currently, Will eats almost every hour as his stomach is too small to handle more than about an ounce of milk. Thankfully, his palate allows him to take a bottle making feedings manageable, but because he can't suck, it takes a half hour to let the bottle drip into his mouth and encourage him to swallow so that he gets enough nourishment. By the time that 30 minutes is up, that only leaves us 30 minutes to get things accomplished before we have to feed him again. In that 30 minutes we need to change his diaper, the dressing on his head, clean out his eyes and mouth, and vaseline his lip. By the time I pump and wash bottles, it is time to feed him again. If he's fussy (which he often is due to the extra air that he takes in while he eats) it slows that whole process down. As someone who likes to be productive, I feel like I accomplish nothing in a day. 

However, Will constantly reminds us that we find our productivity in sustaining life. Not just any life...a joyful one, that fights each day for us,...so we will continue to fight each day for him. Though we have had our scares, he continues to show progress. This week he gained weight. He's up to a hefty 4lbs. 15oz. He is moving his arms and legs more and is opening his eyes for longer periods of time. He smiles all.the.time. I realize it is just a reflex he has while he sleeps, but it brings me joy knowing that he is comfortable enough to let this reflex work for him. And who doesn't feel happy when they see this smiling face...


Happy respect life week from a life that has changed ours. 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That smile is priceless! Thanks for the smile,Will! #willpower

Jodi said...

You don't know me, but I'm one of the {I'm sure many} people on your side...praying you through the unknowns, sharing the joy of your miracle, and shedding tears at your touching blog updates. Please know you are not alone and many are inspired by your courage, faith, and love for your son. He is such a miracle. And that smile! Reflex or not, God knew you all needed that. Continued prayers for sweet Will and his lovely family.

Jodi Ballard (a friend of Fr. Vu ;)

Makenzie said...

the previous post on will makes me want to hold you all in my arms. no matter the preparation you've undergone, it cannot be easy to see your son turn blue and count the seconds until he takes a breath.

both that post and this bring tears to my eyes.

i love his big smile. he is so happy to be here and to be will!! God certainly chose the right family to care for him.

love you all so much! love the will updates! keep going, little guy!

TammyDagger said...

We pray for you all everyday. God gave you a special gift and gave us the special gift of you and your family.
God has you in his hands always.
The Daggers

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your sweet baby Will! What a powerful message for respect life week. Following your journey with prayers,
Lacey Carroll