Sunday, June 3, 2018

William Richmond Memorial Scholarship

At our end of year honors ceremony at our school, we once again had the privilege of presenting a student with a memorial scholarship in honor of Will. This year was so incredibly special as many students had such a prayerful connection to Will and we just feel so grateful for their outpouring of love and support. One student, in particular, this year holds a special place in our family as he sang at Will’s funeral, sang at the Angel of Hope ceremony and I know has held us in his prayers when we needed them most. As my principal read the description of the award, before he even knew that it would be presented to him, he was filled with tears. There was no doubt it my mind that he was the right choice for Will’s scholarship. After the ceremony his mother stopped me and said of all awards that Nolan could receive, this one meant the most to their family. I have no doubt we did our boy proud today.
Additionally, it was a big pat on the back for our World Language Department at the honors ceremony. Three awards are given each year to faculty and this year they all three went to Spanish teachers. Alexis was presented the Excellence in Teaching Award, Vicki the St. Francis Xavier Award and I was presented the City of God award. It was humbling to receive such an awesome award but I truly was more excited to see my amazing colleague acknowledged for their hard work. I teach with some awesome people!
Graduation week was an emotional one. Some phenomenal students are graduating this year and the senior speaker (Peter) addressed his class at Baccalaureate mentioning Will by name. As he recounted his junior year, the Cubs winning the World Series and praying for our sweet boy, it felt like it was all just a blink ago. It made my heart ache to think of how much we miss Will, but it was so heartwarming to think of all the people that he touched and to hear others say his name aloud. This class holds a special place in my heart, but I know they are off to do great things.

No comments: